Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Q & A With Author Geralyn Corcillo



Hi, Geralyn! Thanks for joining me! Let's get started. What are your ambitions for your writing career? 

Hi Amber! Thanks for hosting me today in the shiny new year! I want to land a multi-picture motion-picture deal for my romantic comedy series,  In Love in the Limelight. Queen of the Universe is the second book in the series. I can hear you tearing your hair out, Amber – I read your post on why you hate to read a series – but it's all cool. I actually AGREE with everything you wrote in your post. But the series I write are not like the ones you find so frustrating. My In Love in the Limelight series comprises three stand-alone novels and one stand-alone short story. Each story picks up with different characters with their own challenges and their own arcs. Each story has its own separate hero-and-heroine-pair and its own happy ending. In fact, readers so far have adored Queen's happy ending.  So why are the books in a “series?” They all take place in the dazzling, zany world of Los Angeles, where the paparazzi might sink their glittering talons into you at any inopportune moment and sometimes, the characters of different books cross paths – in the most delightful ways. Perfect for blockbuster romcom movies!

Now that sounds like a series I would enjoy! What would your career look like in an ideal world? 

It would look like The Super Bowl – millions of avid fans, the most impressive talent dazzling with excitement and unparalleled pizazz, and huge paychecks for everyone involved for years to come!


What’s your guilty pleasure TV show? 

Right now, and probably through February, at least, it is ...made-for-television Christmas movies! Hallmark, Lifetime, TNT. I love those movies like I love un-spiked egg nog. This year, I find myself re-watching some favorites – Crown for Christmas, The Nine Lives of Christmas, and The Christmas Kiss. And I'd love any Christmas movie recs in the comments!

Elf and Jingle All The Way will always be my two favorites! Do you believe in fate or love at first sight? 

In the short story “Bigfoot Stole My Wife” by Ron Carlson, the protagonist learns – and urges us – to believe everything. And I do believe in most wild and wacky things. Who am I to pooh-pooh the existence of something? So yes, I for shizzle believe in love at first sight. And I should probably mention, it happened to me. The very first time I looked into Robert's eyes, I felt weak in the knees and I lost my heart forever. 


Too cute! I feel the same way about my dogs! What is the strangest fact about you? 

I am allergic to alcohol. I guess. It's not like I was ever tested or anything. But if I drink even as little as a sip of champagne at a toast at a wedding, I am down for the count with a debilitating headache and I get all red in the face and really itchy.
 
That sounds horrible! What are you working on right now? 

This blog post! Actually, connecting with readers is one of my favorite parts of being an author and I spend quite a bit of my “writing” time connecting with readers, fans, and reviewers. And when I'm not connecting with fans, I'm working on the next book in my other series, my Drakenfall series, stand-alone romantic comedies that all center around the village of Tippingstock and the great estate-turned-resort there, Drakenfall – located in the heart of the Cotswolds in England.

Which writers inspire you? 

Did you ever see the movie The Rewrite, starring Hugh Grant and Marisa Tomei – and written by Marc Lawrence? In it, Grant plays a washed-up Hollywood screenwriter who takes a job teaching screenwriting at a small college in order to make ends meet. At a faculty meeting, an elitist English professor played by Allison Janney asks Grant if he's ever even heard of any female writers. In response, he lauds Elaine May for her brilliant rewrite of the movie Tootsie. Janney is scandalized that he would mention a screenwriter as a legitimate writer, but I MUST agree with Grant! Elaine May inspires me not just because she successfully kicked butt in a severely male dominated industry, but she wrote Tootsie – Tootsie! Tootsie is the shining example of what I want everything I write to be like: hilarious and heartfelt, with the lead characters each having powerful arcs that propel the story – a story that of course has romance in it. 
  

I have never seen that movie, but I'll add it to my to-watch list! Why do you write? 

Gloria Steinem has this quote that I love: “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.” Well, along those same lines, I decided to stop looking for the books I wanted to read, and instead decided to write the books I want to read. Don't get me wrong, I still read like a demon. I write to create the positive energy of laughter and love that I want to feel in this world.

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to publish their own book? 

As Tom Hanks says to Geena Davis in A League or Their Own, “It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.” That line was written by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel.


What book are you currently reading? 

I just finished Snowbound by Monique McDonell.  What an awesome Chick Lit holiday short novel! So sweet and a little sexy. Boy meets girl – they get stuck in a blizzard – but the story defies stereotypes! As you're reading, you might think you know what's going to happen next, but McDonell delightfully surprises at every turn. Every word is magically compelling – what a warm and cozy read!

Sounds cool, I'll add that one to my to-read list! How can readers discover more about you and your work? 

Well, like I said, I LOVE to connect with readers, so please check into chat on Facebook, Twitter, and my website. Sign up for my newsletter and follow me on BookBub to find out about my new releases as well as Romantic Comedy contests, freebies, and discounts. I often participate in big, multi-author giveaways, so stick close to me and you can find out about a lot of wonderful books you can get for free. I look forward to connecting with you all in this brand new year! Here is how you can find me:
Universal Amazon Author Page

Awesome, thanks again for joining me!