Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Red Queen | Victoria Aveyard

“The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain."


Genre: Fantasy/Dystopian.
Number of Pages: 383.
Perspective: First.
Location: Post-Apocalyptic United States.

There is a divide between the people in this post-apocalyptic dystopia: red or silver bloods. Red bloods are lower class. Silver bloods are upper class and have extraordinary abilities. But what happens when a red blood has an ability of her own? For a complete summary, you can go here.

When I first finished this book, I planned on giving a 5-star review. It was a quick and interesting read and very fascinating. However, after discussing it with my book club and digesting the book a little bit, I decided that the familiarity of the story knocked my rating down to 4 stars. It was too similar to many of the other Young Adult dystopian books out there. Sometimes I can’t remember what happened in Red Queen versus Hunger Games versus Divergent. A relatively normal, bland, nondescript teenage girl suddenly finds herself being the leader of a rebellion. Very relatable for your average teen [sarcasm]. 

Overall, this story was very complex with lots of twists and turns. I did devour it and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series [yes, I know I always rant about why I hate series, but I’ll give the rest of these books a chance]. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 





“Flame and shadow. One cannot exist without the other.” 




4/5 Stars