Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

You | Caroline Kepnes

“I don't say anything. I know the power of silence. I remember my dad saying nothing and I remember his silences more vividly than I remember the things he said.”


Genre: Thriller.
Number of Pages: 422.
Perspective: Second.
Location: New York.

You is the story of a bookstore manager, Joe, who quickly becomes obsessed with a beautiful and quirky customer. For a complete summary, you can go here.

The main draw of this book is that it is written in second person and the narrator is a stalker. So it seems as though you are the object of his obsession. Sound creepy? Yes, it was. However, I think the author dropped the ball on how creepy it could have been. But maybe that’s the point. You start to think that Joe isn’t really that bad, or that his actions are justified, when they are actually illegal and very messed up. 

I do think there was the potential for a huge twist at the end. I was waiting for it, but I think the author ended up going with an easier direction. There were all the clues throughout the whole book for the twist, but they all ended up being red herrings. 

The book was an interesting concept, but was a tad bit too drawn out. I think about 100 pages could have been cut out. The first half really intrigued me, but then it started to fall flat in the second half. However, I do think it has a purpose. I think it'll make people think about what information is online about them and how much someone can figure out just from social media. 

There is a lot of sexual content, so be warned. This book is definitely not for everyone. I would recommend it to people who like creepy thrillers. If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 





“Work in a bookstore and learn that most people in this world feel guilty about being who they are.” 


3/5 Stars