Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Q & A With Author Larissa Reinhart




Hi, Larissa. Let's get started. What is your book, 15 Minutes, NOT about?

It’s not about penguins. That being said, I’ve got nothing against penguins. They’re very cute. I got to hold one once.

Penguins are pretty awesome. What is your book15 Minutes, about?

Maizie Albright’s an ex-teen and reality star who returns to her hometown in Georgia to escape life in Hollywood (also by judge’s orders) to become a detective. She’s trying to emulate her favorite childhood role, Julia Pinkerton, Teen Detective, but also learning how to become her own person after spending a life under the thumb of managers, directors, and producers, particularly her stage-monster mother-manager.

What is your favorite line from your book?

If I pick a favorite, it’ll make the other lines jealous. So I’ll give you the first line, “Of course, Nash Security Solutions would be housed in a donut shop.”

What better place than a donut shop? What celebrities would play your main characters if it were a movie?

I always imagine Maizie Albright looking like a young Christina Hendricks. Maybe if Emma Stone was taller and curvier? And Nash looks like a young, bigger and bulkier Paul Newman. Or at least his eyes are like Paul Newman. Maybe if Paul Newman and Dwayne Johnson had a baby. Lamar sounds like Morgan Freeman but he looks like Ossie Davis. Vicki…maybe Heather Locklear? I’m really dating myself here. I should ask my readers…

Take me through a day in your life. 

It’s very exciting.
6:20 I curse and hit the snooze.
6:30 I listen to see if my children forgot to turn on their alarm. In which case, I have to hop out of bed and yell at them to get up. 
There’s forty-five minutes of shuffling, coffee making, lunch packing, and the like, then they’re gone. I tell myself I’m going to do yoga after I check my email.
9:00 I’m starving and I realize that it’s nine o’clock and I haven’t done anything but look at my email, steal funny pins off Pinterest, and scroll through Facebook. Also, my coffee is now cold. I haven’t showered. And forget about the yoga. 
I complain about my lack of focus to Biscuit (my dog), who points out that I have a great amount of focus for goofing off. Actually, he doesn’t speak, but his looks say it all. 
11:00 I’m starving. Also, I’m writing, but to be honest, most of the writing is “research.” I berate myself for not having any good snacks when we all know that if I buy snacks, I’ll just eat them. 
1:00 I’m starving. I check my word count and do a face palm. But first, “just let me check Facebook (for thirty minutes).”
2:00 I ate and now I’m sleepy. I take a thirty-minute nap because “I get my best ideas right before I nap.” (This is what I tell myself).
4:00 The children are getting off the bus. I check my word count and do another face palm. I tell myself to do better tomorrow.
4:00 to 9:00 is the children hour(s). 
9:00 I tell myself I should do more work, but I’m tired (even though I had a nap). So I tell myself I won’t be productive anyway and I should just watch Netflix. 
11:30 I face palm because I just Netflixed way too long. But now I need to read.
12:30 Dangit, it’s 12:30 and I’m still reading. But one more chapter…

Show me a picture of your writing spot. 


I like to use my laptop in my actual lap. In a chair with my feet up. Because I am that lazy.

I work in the same position. If you could spend the day with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you do?

To be really honest, my dad. If I’m trying to be funny, Teddy Roosevelt. I had a thing for him when I was thirteen. 

What is the weirdest thing you have had to research for writing purposes?

I had a lot of fun researching drag queen how-to’s for HEARTACHE MOTEL. Terri L. Austin, LynDee Walker and I each wrote a novella and set our characters at a fictional seedy, crime-ridden Memphis motel with Elvis impersonators and Elvis’s women impersonators. The women were all men. Fun and educational!


What was your favorite book as a child, and what is your favorite book now?

Although I had many favorites, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was my favorite. Choosing a favorite now is even harder because I’ve had so many more years of reading. Probably Jane Eyre but The Eyre Affair makes it even better.

What books are you currently reading? 

Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan and Before the Storm by Leslie Tentler.

I loved Dad is Fat. I reviewed it here. What is the strangest fact about you? 

Wow. There are so many. In Thailand, a monkey jumped on me and almost bit me. That was pretty weird. Wait, my family was on HGTV’s House Hunters International. That’s strange and it’s more recent. The monkey happened in 1997 and it’s just my go to odd fact.


Oh, I love House Hunters! What writers inspire you?

Every writer I read inspires me. Writing is such hard work, I’m constantly amazed by those who do great things with words. Particularly original things with words. Elmore Leonard comes to mind. Ira Levin blows me away. Mary Stewart’s stories are still really compelling to me. And I love the romantic comedies of Jennifer Crusie. I’ll read anything by those authors. 

Why do you write?

I question that all the time. I feel compelled to get stories down on paper. I’ve been writing stories since I learned how to spell. I still can’t spell…

What are you working on right now?

16 MILLIMETERS, the second Maizie Albright Star Detective story.  And I’ve got two romantic comedies on the back burner. Plus notes on a couple YAs I’ve promised myself to write before my children become adult. And a Cherry Tucker spin-off. And the full novel from my Finley Goodhart short story and NC-17, Maizie Albright #3. All those ideas are running through my head, but I only allow myself real words on 16 MILLIMETERS.

How can readers learn more about you and your work?

I love to chat with readers on Facebook, but I’d love for them to sign up for my newsletter. I do a giveaway every quarter and my subscribers are automatically entered to win a signed copy for each of my releases. Plus my newsletter subscribers get the Finley Goodhart stories. You can also check my website or find me snapping shots of our life in Japan on Instagram (@LarissaReinhart). 

Awesome, thanks for joining me, Larissa!