Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Sun is Also a Star | Nicola Yoon

“The thing about falling is you don't have any control on your way down.”


Genre: Young Adult Romance.
Number of Pages: 384.
Perspective: First Alternating and Third.
Location: New York City.

The Sun is Also a Star is a story about how the universe brings together two people even though everything in the universe should keep them apart. For a complete summary, you can go here.

There were some things that I absolutely loved about this book. I loved the timeliness of the issues with immigration and deportation. I loved the biracial relationship between a Jamaican and Korean. I loved the chapters that gave us some alternative points of view or some background knowledge about certain topics (Rastafarianism, for example). I loved the way Nicola Yoon writes. I loved how quick of a read it was with the short, alternating perspective chapters. I loved how the book takes place all within one eventful day.  I even loved the ending. 

This book would have been five stars, however, I hate instalove. I hate books that are all about someone becoming your everything within moments of meeting them. It just doesn’t seem realistic to me. I also thought that there were a few too many “coincidences” and perfect timings. However, I did like the semi-twist at the end that is actually caused by horrible timing.  

I definitely enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to everyone (especially those that are suckers for romance and fate). If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 





“We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about.” 




4/5 Stars