Search This Blog

Friday, July 14, 2017

Q & A With Author Camilla Isley


Hi Camilla. Welcome back for your second interview here! What is your book NOT about?

Murder. Tragedy. Evil witches. Dragons.

What is your book about?

Finding love. Learning to love again. Moving beyond stereotypes of how life should be. The love of a pet. Crazy funny situations. Starting over. A journey to learn what matters and what doesn’t. A bit of office romance. Friendship. Happily ever afters…

What is your favorite line from your book?

“Live and embarrass yourself the most you can.”

To put it into context it goes like this…

“…So what’s your plan for the weekend?”
I shrug. “Survive without embarrassing myself too much?”
“That sounds like an awful plan.”
“You have a better suggestion?”
“Live and embarrass yourself the most you can.”

What celebrities would play your main characters if it were a movie?

Blair: Emma Stone
Richard: Ashton Kutcher

I love Ashton! Take me through a day in your life.

It’s not that exciting… working at home means I basically walk down the stairs and am in the office. With my laptop in front of me I run through a cycle of networking, writing, editing… Then there are those amiable house chores to take care of and in the rare days I’m motivated enough, some writer-ass fighting exercising.

Show me a picture of your writing spot. 


So this is not my usual writing spot. We’re staying in a country house right now for the summer and I made the living room table my spot. I’m glad I don’t have to show you a pic of my writing nook at home, you’d cringe. It’s so messy. A disaster. I should probably clear it out, join the de-cluttering movement. The minimalism of this new, bare space is helping me focus.

I have met very few writers with organized writing space. I think it has to do with being a creative mind. If you could spend the day with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you do?

My grandmother. I miss her so much and I would love to have just another day with her. We’d probably spend the day cooking. She’d teach me one of her recipes for handmade pasta and we’d spend the day in a simple way like that: making a meal and chatting. Like she used to do when she was young. When you couldn’t buy everything at a store. When there was no internet, no TV, no smartphones and people spent time talking and making things together.

What is the weirdest thing you have had to research for writing purposes?

Probably what use a pack of condoms would have in the wild (besides the obvious)… For my novel A Sudden Crush.

Too funny! What was your favorite book as a child, and what is your favorite book now?

I had phases. So in early childhood my favorite was The Night of Wishes by Michael Ende. Early teen, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Then I discovered Harry Potter… Dug into some classics, Jane Austen, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Mark Twain… Now I’d say those plus most of Sophie Kinsella’s novels, Game of Thrones, the Throne of Glass series… Oh, I’m rambling… As you can see I can’t just pick one. I love too many books, authors, and genres to choose.

What book(s) are you currently reading?

Lately, I’ve been in a Fantasy mojo. I’ve found this new (for me, books have been published a while) series I like Raven’s Shadow by Anthony Ryan. I’m at the end of book 1 and will keep reading.


What is the strangest fact about you? 

Mmm, perhaps that I’m a Mechanical Engineer by training and I would’ve never thought I’d end up being a writer.

What writers inspire you?

In my genre, Romantic Comedy, the absolute queen for me is Sophie Kinsella. Her new book, My Not So Perfect Life, was one of my favorites this year. I also love Meg Cabot, with her Boy Series. Mhairi McFarlane is another favorite.

Why do you write?

I guess it all started with me having a story to tell… Since publishing my first book, it’s been amazing to see the positive responses from readers and it has kept me wanting to tell all the stories that swirl in my head. Books have always been a huge part of my life, I love to read… and a pretty common side-effect is getting this overly active imagination that makes your brain pulse with ideas and possible plots.

And you can write books pretty fast! It must come naturally. What are you working on right now?

The third book in my new adult series, Just Friends. The title is My Best Friend’s Boyfriend and it’s very early days… But as you can imagine from the title, I explore what happens when two best friends love the same guy. I always try to put a spin on stories so don’t expect any boyfriend-stealing scenarios. I will dig deep into the pain it is to see the man you love with another person, but also loving this other person so much you’d never wish for them to break up. My new adult novels have a bit more drama than the romcoms.

How can readers learn more about you and your work?

My newsletter is the best way, I write monthly updates on my works in progress and share news before any other outlet. And when readers sign up they receive a free eBook. Here’s the sign-up linkOr find out more info on my website. I also enjoy Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I share visual inspirations for my books on Pinterest… This is the board for I Have Never. And I’m on Goodreads, I always post news about upcoming books and share what I’m reading.

As always, it was great to have you! I’m sure you will have another book launch soon!