Search This Blog

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Q & A With Author Lisa Daily


Hi, Lisa! Thanks for joining me today. Let's get started! What is your book NOT about?

Great question! My book is not about eighteenth-century poets. Or fisherwomen. Or a secret society of rogue weavers.

So, what is your book about?

It's about putting your life back together again after other people sometimes screw up your big plans for how things are going to be. And best girlfriends. And the weirdness of dating. And the absolute deliciousness of truly connecting with someone on every conceivable level. And first kisses. And first more than kisses. And pot-smoking octogenarians. And laughing until your sides hurt.

Sounds fun! What is your favorite line from your book?

"Botox is as common as seagulls in Sarasota, but most of the women I know who use the dermatologist's little helper still have full range of expression. Except squinting, of course."

What celebrities would play your main characters if it were a movie?

I love this question because whenever I'm writing a book, I always sort of cast it in my head.

For Alex, my dream actress would be Kerry Washington.  I love her, I'm a huge fan of Scandal -- I think she has incredible depth for the feely parts and spectacular comedic timing. She's much funnier than people generally give her credit for -- and I think that's because she's such a strong dramatic actress. She's definitely a writers' actress -- she has a great range.

Also, I love the fact that she often plays characters who can be extraordinarily vulnerable at times, and then scrape themselves off the pavement, take a deep breath, and live to fight another day.

I always love Drew Barrymore for many of the same reasons.  So if Kerry Washington isn't available...

For Daniel: Henry Caville. Here's why:  Imagine Henry Caville. Now imagine Henry Caville cooking for you. Magic, right?  Now add in Henry Caville being insightful and charming and surprisingly romantic while cooking for you.  Also, he has a sexy accent and I'm pretty sure he does the dishes. 

I could also see Ryan Gosling playing Daniel. I'm pretty sure he does the dishes also.

For Michael, Darcy's former husband -- Neil Patrick Harris

For Darcy, the smart, funny best friend who always tells it like it is, I always have Judy Greer or Kat Dennings in mind -- sassy and hilarious.

For Nate, the hunky tool belt supermodel, I couldn't get Jonathan Scott from the Property Brothers out of my head -- Liam Hemsworth with a tool belt would do, however. Yes, yes he would. 

I am glad you have given this so much thought! Now, take me through a day in your life. 

I get up, get the kids off to school and either meet a friend for breakfast or head over to Siesta Key to write for a few hours. I cool off in the Gulf when I get too warm or need time to think.  I eat lunch and write some more.  In the afternoon I hang out with my sweetie and the kids. We crack each other up, make a little dinner (and maybe whip up a batch of margaritas) and read or see a movie.

On Saturday night (known at my house as "date night") we head over to our favorite pizza joint for dinner, followed by custard at a local hangout, and then head to the bookstore to browse.

I'm lucky to have so much in my life that I love.

That sounds like a dream day! Show me a picture of your writing spot. 


Ah! Don't get your computer wet! If you could spend the day with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you do?

It would be my Grandma Vernie, who passed away when I was eight, but is still one of my favorite people in the Universe. We'd play Yahtzee for dimes, which is one of my most beloved memories with her. And then we'd go to the bookstore and I'd show her all the books I've written -- she always wanted a writer in the family, and I feel incredibly proud that I was able to fulfill that for her.  

So sweet! What is the weirdest thing you have had to research for writing purposes?

Like most authors, my Google search history probably has my on about 15 different Homeland Security watch lists. I always feel really bad for the mystery writers.

Weirdest things to research -- for Single-Minded, I did a lot of research on environmental and spatial psychologists, which is what my main character, Alex does for a living. I think it's cool that these psychologists can influence our everyday behavior with scents, color and lighting choices, chair thickness, and weirdly, images of pandas. Did you know that people can be primed to give more money at charity events if they see images of cute animals? Or that for women, spending time outdoors can help to alleviate low self-esteem, depression, and anxiety symptoms? Or that if you stand at the corner or the bar, rather than the flat side, the bartender will take your drink order faster, and strangers will be more likely to strike up a conversation with you?

The all-time strangest thing I've ever researched for a book is the recipe for special effects vomit: Tapioca and maple syrup mixed with frozen peas and carrots. Now you know.

So interesting!! What was your favorite book as a child, and what is your favorite book now?

My favorite book as a child was How Fletcher Was Hatched, about a dog who thinks he would be more loveable if he was more like a chicken.  My favorite book now is Nora Ephron's Heartburn. It's honest, it's heartbreaking, it's hilarious. And at the end, the main character gets to be Nora Ephron.


What book are you currently reading? 

I just finished Sophie Kinsella's My Not So Perfect Life, which I loved.  My work is compared to hers a lot, which I find incredibly flattering because she's one of my very favorite authors.

What is the strangest fact about you? 

I once walked a high wire for charity in front of a crowd of 250 people.  It was terrifying and completely thrilling.

Scary! What writers inspire you?

Nora Ephron, Dave Barry, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Austen, Jane Green, Colleen Hoover, and Eileen Cook

I love Colleen Hoover too! Why do you write?

It's who I am, I've written all my life.  I've literally wanted to be an author since I was a little kid. I remember when I was 7 or 8, sitting on the sofa in the family room, looking at my reflection in the glass fireplace screen and pretending I was being interviewed by Johnny Carson about my new novel. I wrote a serial when I was in the 4th grade about our hunky science teacher, Mr. Gemeinhart. Every day at recess a huge crowd of girls would gather under the slide to listen to the latest installment.

What are you working on right now?

I'm just beginning to plot a new YA series -- it's my first series so I'm both excited and terrified.  I'm also working on another summer romantic comedy, because those are pretty much my favorite books these days. 

Awesome! How can readers learn more about you and your work?

Thanks for asking! I'm always on Goodreads, Twitter @LisaDaily and Instagram @AuthorByTheSea, and probably the easiest way to keep up with me is on my website LisaDaily.com.

Good luck with your writing and thanks again for being a part of Judging More Than Just The Cover!