Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Woman in Cabin 10 | Ruth Ware

“There’s a reason why we keep thoughts inside our heads for the most part—they’re not safe to be let out in public. ” 

Genre: Mystery/Thriller.
Number of Pages: 340.
Perspective: First.
Location: Yacht in the ocean off of Europe. 

This book is about a travel journalist that gets the opportunity to experience the life of luxury on a fancy yacht to see the Northern Lights. However, the first night she hears a scream and a splash from the outside of the cabin next to hers. No one believes her story since the room was empty, but she is determined to find out the truth. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I’ll shamefully admit that I thought this book was going to take place in the woods. I was thinking of a log cabin, not a cabin in a boat. Water didn't seem as creepy to me as the woods, but now I am realizing how boats are the perfect places for crimes. You are trapped and there is a grey area for arrests in unclaimed water territory. Makes me not want to go on a cruise anytime soon…

This was actually the first book I was able to read after my major back surgery without falling asleep (pain meds = fatigue). This book caught my interest from the beginning and kept me intrigued until the last 50 pages or so. I’ll admit that it started to get boring and dry, so I speed-read through the last bit to just see how it ended. If it wasn’t for the last bit, I would have given it 5 stars. It also felt familiar to me. The unreliable narrator is starting to become somewhat cliche. 

I still thoroughly recommend this book for mystery lovers. It isn’t as dark as Gillian Flynn, so it can still be considered a warmer weather/beach read. I can’t wait to read Ware’s other big hit, In a Dark, Dark Wood (now if that book isn’t in the woods, then my radar is way off). If you are interested in buying the book, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 





“[W]e all have demons inside us, voices that whisper we’re no good, that if we don’t make this promotion or ace that exam we’ll reveal to the world exactly what kind of worthless sacks of skin and sinew we really are.”


4/5 Stars  
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*