Search This Blog

Friday, September 29, 2017

Wintersong | S. Jae-Jones

“‘A candle unused is nothing but wax and wick,’ I said.’I would rather light the flame, knowing it will go out than sit forever in darkness.’

Genre: New Adult Fantasy.
Number of Pages: 436.
Perspective: First.
Location: 18th Century Bavaria.

This book is about Liesl, a girl whose sister gets kidnapped by the goblin king. She must use what she knows from her grandmother’s old folklore stories to figure out how to get her sister back, even if it means making the ultimate sacrifice. For a complete summary, you can go here.

I read this book for my book club, but I may have picked it up on my own because of the beautiful cover and the fantasy element. However, I want to start off by saying that I couldn’t fully appreciate all this book has to offer. By that, I mean that at least half of this book is musical prose that might as well have been a foreign language to me. If you understand classical music, then I would assume that you would have an appreciation for the 50%+ of the book that I skipped over (I was also recovering from major back surgery and on a lot of pain meds while reading this book, so I fell asleep a lot while reading it). The part I did understand was interesting, but familiar. I have no problem with people writing fan fiction or taking an old idea and expanding on it, but this felt like The Labyrinth meets Beauty and the Beast. And any sort of romance between captor—who, not to mention, isn’t even human—and captive gives me the heebie-jeebies. However, There’s no denying that this book has beautiful writing and was difficult to predict (which are two positive factors in any book). 

I haven’t personally read a lot of goblin books, but I do love faerie stories, and this feels similar. So I liked that fantasy aspect. But even a fantasy story should be somewhat realistic. I’m sorry, but if you love someone, why steal their sister instead of stating your true intentions? Just seems like an unnecessary step to the whole story. And the back and forth and abrupt ends to romantic scenes felt really bizarre. 

If you are a fan of fantasy and have a great knowledge of music, then I think you would absolutely love this story and get the full experience. If you are music illiterate like me and still love fantasy novels with a romance element, I’d like to recommend The Scorpio Races or Shiver instead. If you are still interested in buying Wintersong, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 




“What’s the use of running, if we are on the wrong road.”


2/5 Stars