Search This Blog

Friday, November 3, 2017

Looking for Alaska | John Green

At some point, you just pull off the Band-Aid, and it hurts, but then it's over and you're relieved.”

Genre: Young Adult.
Number of Pages: 221.
Perspective: First.
Location: Alabama.

This book follows Miles as he starts high school at a boarding school. He makes a group of friends, including the mysterious Alaska. The book is separated into before Alaska and after. For a complete summary, you can go here.

This was a quick read and I did really enjoy it. I think I would have liked this a lot more if it was the first John Green book I read. However, I loved The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. To me, this one was not as original and exciting. It was a coming-of-age story and the boarding school format allowed for a lot of freedom for the teenagers to basically do whatever they wanted with little adult supervision (which of course leads to exciting storylines). 

It’s a fun friendship adventure with a little bit of mystery. I have to admit, the ending did not feel like 100% closure to me, and that always leaves me unsettled when finishing a book. However, I definitely recommend it to anyone. I think it is great when popular young adult fiction is written from a male perspective; it seems much harder to find. This review is getting me excited to read Green’s newest book: Turtles all the Way Down! I’ll have that review posted soon. If you are interested in buying Looking for Alaska, you can buy it here. After you have read it, leave a comment and let me know what you think! 




“If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”




4/5 Stars